Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Addendum to previous post re: Serzone

Not that it matters so much since the drug isn't on the market anymore, but then come to think of it the generic (nefazodone) might be. And anyway, I just believe it's important to be as educated as possible on this kind of topic.

Serzone is not an SSRI. Instead it is a Serotonin antagonist. This isn't what it sounds like. Basically neurotransmitters are usually sort of cycled through the brain - they're spit out into there, and then they're picked back up. SSRIs, as the name implies, are "reuptake inhibitors" - they stop the brain from picking the serotonin back up out of the brain so quickly. Serotonin antagonists also do this, but at different receptors or in a different way. So, same overall effect but different mechanism. And, as it seems, different side effects. Other serotonin antagonists include trazodone and its brand name, Desyrel.

Regarding my other current medication, Wellbutrin, seems that it is a norepinephrine and dopamine reuptake inhibitor. I'm not sure of the wisdom of being on two drugs that both inhibit the reuptake of norepinephrine, particularly since I've been known to be prone to panic attacks. One doctor thought it'd be just fine, the other thought it'd probably be fine. So... we'll see, I guess? If it seems like I'm getting way more panicky, someone mention it maybe?

Have I mentioned that I hate being on drugs? Yeah. Bigtime.

No comments:

Post a Comment